AAA encourages Ohioans to plan for vacation
Think about it, when’s the last time you used all of your vacation time? More than half of Americans failed to use all their vacation time in 2017, creating a stockpile of 705 million unused days. January 29, 2019 is the U.S. Travel Association’s National Plan for Vacation Day. Since taking vacation offers many personal and professional benefits, AAA encourages Ohioans to take time now to plan their 2019 vacations.
Ohio ranks eighth in unused vacation days, according to the U.S. Travel Association. In 2017, Ohioans left nearly 76,000 vacation days unused.
Leaving vacation days on the table takes a toll on families, worker productivity, stress levels, and overall well-being. Taking vacation has been shown to offer many benefits, including:
- Strengthening personal relationships
- Inspiring creative thinking
- Improving professional performance
- Boosting physical and mental health
- Stimulating the economy
Plan your vacation far in advance.
The most effective remedy for those who want to use more vacation days is better planning. This is why those who plan their vacation time in advance are more likely than average to use all their earned days. Make vacation planning a reality by following AAA suggestions:
- Create a budget so your trip planning can be accomplished in a realistic manner.
- Do your research and understand the pros and cons of traveling to a destination during your preferred timeframe.
- Consider booking with a travel agent. In addition to having in-depth expertise about destinations across the globe, travel agents have relationships with cruise lines, hotels and tour operators and often have access to special rates and added benefits that are not available elsewhere.
- Plan ahead. If you are leaving the country you will need a passport, and possibly a visa or health documentation. It can take up to six weeks to get a new passport, so allow time to secure all necessary documents.
- Consider purchasing travel insurance, which is designed to offer protection against sudden and unforeseen events. Check with a travel agent and carefully review insurance policies before purchasing, as coverage options vary.
AAA Great Vacations Travel EXPO
The AAA Great Vacations Travel EXPO, Feb. 8-10, 2020, at the Ohio Expo Center in Columbus, provides the perfect place to begin vacation planning. The EXPO brings together the world’s top travel companies and destinations under one roof. Travelers can start their vacation planning by talking one-on-one with travel experts and taking advantage of exclusive EXPO-only deals.
The U.S. Travel Association reports 88 percent of Americans are in search of a warm climate for their vacations. To help local travelers make this dream a reality, the EXPO features travel experts from Florida destinations, cruise lines, the Outer Banks of North Carolina, Jamaica, St. Lucia and resorts in the Caribbean, Mexico, and Hawaii.
For more information on the AAA Great Vacations Travel EXPO visit AAA.com/EXPO
As North America’s largest motoring and leisure travel organization, AAA provides more than 59 million members with travel-, insurance-, financial- and automotive-related services. Since its founding in 1902, the not-for-profit, fully tax-paying AAA has been a leader and advocate for the safety and security of all travelers. AAA clubs can be visited online at AAA.com.