From visiting family to holiday shopping trips, chances are you’ll be on the road more during the winter driving season. Whether it’s a blizzard, freezing temperatures or ice, winter driving conditions can lead to breakdowns and accidents for even the most responsible drivers.
To help keep you prepared during the colder months, here are five items to keep in your car to give you peace of mind while driving:
- Flashlight: If you’ll be traveling or shopping after work, it may already be dark outside. If a breakdown occurs, you’ll want a flashlight to view your surroundings and help you find the items you need.
- Portable charger: A portable charger can help make sure you have access to call AAA or use the AAA Mobile App to contact emergency roadside assistance, plus inform your family – and law enforcement, if warranted – of your situation and where you are.
- Blankets and gloves: Extra blankets in the winter are always a good idea, especially while waiting for help to arrive. If you have to scrape ice or dig out a tire, you’ll want something to keep your hands warm, too.
- Road flares: These alert other drivers to look out for you and remind them to be extra careful on a potentially hazardous patch of road.
- Emergency kit: Choose one that includes basic first aid supplies in case of a minor injury.
Now is the time to make sure your car is ready for winter driving. Visit AAA.com to schedule an inspection at one of our Car Care Plus or Approved Auto Repair facilities.