Eating healthy on vacation may seem like an oxymoron. If you’re looking forward to indulging on your next trip, you aren’t alone: Roughly 80 percent of U.S. adults have participated in food-related experiences during their previous vacations, and 75 percent say food and dining are very important to their travel experiences.
But you don’t have to return from your trip feeling sluggish (and weighing in a little heavier). With a few smart tips, you can savor all the incredible flavors of your destination — and feel good about it, too.
- Stay hydrated. Remember to drink plenty of water throughout the day, especially if you’re doing a lot of walking or if you’re visiting a hot climate. You’ll feel better and even get an energy boost by drinking enough; fresh fruits, vegetables and juice count toward your intake, too!
- Eat at regular mealtimes. Your body will get hungry at the times it’s used to, so if you typically eat breakfast at 8 a.m. and dinner at 6 p.m., try to stick close to your normal schedule.
- Keep it balanced. No one’s saying you shouldn’t try the chocolate gelato or quiche Lorraine (you are on vacation, after all!), but be smart about what you’ve already eaten or plan to eat during the day. If you’ll be having a four-course dinner, opt for a lighter lunch. If you want to sample the local dessert options, choose a less-filling dinner.
- Watch your portion sizes. Similarly, don’t take a massive portion of every food just because it’s available. Think about how much you’ll actually be able to eat and how full you are, then choose accordingly. A few bites of several foods is healthier than a giant serving of one item.
- Try a little of everything. One way to eat healthier is to fill your plate with a rainbow of colors. You’ll not only reap the nutrition benefits of a well-rounded meal, but sample a wider variety.
Whether you’re planning on eating healthy on vacation or throwing caution to the wind, we have the perfect trip for you. Visit AAA.com/Travel or call your nearest AAA store to start planning your dream getaway today.
Jessica Barga is a Brand Management Coordinator for AAA Ohio Auto Club.