While celebrating the holiday season, it is important to keep safety in mind. The most common holiday related injuries and accidents that occur this time of year result from putting up and taking down decorations, followed by injuries from broken ornamental bulbs. Here are some tips to stay merry this time of year from The National Safety Council.
- Always use a step ladder properly when hanging decorations. Don’t try to stand on chairs or other furniture.
- When in doubt, hang your lights lower.
- Check and make sure light strands do not have frayed or exposed wires.
- Make sure you don’t overload your electrical circuits.
- If you have a home with children or pets, keep them in mind when hanging ornaments. Move ornaments that are small or breakable toward the top and out of reach.
- Don’t forget about keeping those metal hooks out of reach.
- Bigger isn’t always better when it comes to selecting a tree. Choose a tree that fits easily through your front door and one that you can manage to remove after the holidays.
- “Angel hair” is made from spun glass and can irritate your eyes and skin. Wear gloves or substitute non-flammable cotton when handling this glistening decoration.
- Artificial snow can irritate your lungs if you don’t use caution when spraying. Make sure to read and follow directions carefully.
- Plants, like Poinsettias, can help add to your holiday décor, but keep in mind that some varieties are poisonous. Keep these plants out of reach of children or pets that may be around your home this time of year.
Good Insurance Matters
Accidents still happen during this cheerful time of year so it is important to make sure you’re prepared. Get your insurance checkup today from the people who’ve helped members be prepared for more than 100 years.
Call a AAA Ohio Auto Club insurance agent at (888) 222-6446, or visit AAA.com/Insurance.