Winter storms can wreak havoc on your home. In 2016, winter storms in the U.S. resulted in an estimated $1 billion in losses, according to the Insurance Information Institute. Check some of these winter preparedness items off your to-do list over the weeks ahead. When the storms hit, you’ll be glad you did.
- Have your heating system(s) serviced to make sure they are working properly. It’s a good idea to have these checked at least once a year.
- Insulate exposed pipes and seal cracks to prevent them from leaking or even bursting.
- Know the location of the main water shutoff valve; If your pipes freeze, work quickly to shut off the water and prevent pipes from bursting.
- Check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Remove debris from gutters to prevent backups and leaks.
- Trim trees and remove dead branches; falling limbs can cause injury or property damage.
- Caulk openings and install weather stripping around windows and doors to prevent cold air and moisture from entering.
- Be prepared — stock up on emergency items.
For more information on home insurance coverage, or for your free quote, visit AAA.com/Insurance.