PRESS RELEASE – This spring travelers are flocking to warmer destinations in record numbers, according to new booking data from AAA. Flights, tours, car rentals and hotels booked for March, April and May to places like Florida, Mexico and Hawaii are up 211% over last year and 10% over 2019.
“People taking tropical and beach vacations this time of year isn’t new,” said Paula Twidale, senior vice president of AAA Travel. “It’s the number of bookings we’re seeing, with increases in the triple digits over last year and even beating pre-pandemic volumes. The moral of the story is that people, more than ever, want to get away and enjoy a little taste of paradise.”
AAA data reveals reservations for places with warmer temperatures, beaches and outdoor activities increased 27% from December to January.
Top Ten Warm Weather Destinations for Spring 2022:
Beaches mostly top the list of where travelers plan to go this spring but some popular family vacation spots like Orlando, or big cities like Las Vegas also made the cut. These destinations represent bookings for flights, tours, car rentals and hotels.
- Orlando, FL
- Cancun, Mexico
- Honolulu, HI
- Las Vegas, NV
- Kahului, Maui, HI
- Phoenix, AZ
- Tampa, FL
- Lauderdale, FL
- Miami, FL
- Montego Bay, Jamaica
Ohio’s Top Ten Road Trip Destinations:
Despite high gas prices, many Ohioans are planning road trips this spring. The top ten spring road trip destinations for Ohio travelers include:
- Myrtle Beach, SC
- Hilton Head Island, SC
- Gatlinburg, TN
- Pigeon Forge, TN
- Nashville, TN
- Virginia Beach, VA
- Asheville, NC
- Savannah, GA
- Orlando, FL
- Destin, FL
Travelers can calculate the estimated fuel costs for their upcoming trips by using the AAA Gas Cost Calculator, located at GasPrices.AAA.com. They can also find the lowest gas prices along their route using the free AAA Mobile App.
Traveling in 2022:
“Plan, plan and plan some more,” added Twidale. “Traveling in 2022 is absolutely possible but doing your research, working with a trusted travel agent and purchasing travel insurance are all a must. Make reservations early as space is limited and prices are going up.”
Once the planning is done, keep these other tips in mind as you head out on your spring vacation:
- Purchase travel insurance to protect your investment, choosing one that provides coverage for travel interruption and additional expenses associated with COVID-19.
- Notify credit card providers of your travel details (specify location and duration) to reduce the risk of cards being frozen due to unusual activity.
- Bring proof of vaccination. It’s also a good idea to take a photo using your phone of your vaccination card and other important documents (like your passport) as a backup.
- For international flights, check with your airline for any required documents needed for your final destination.
- All air passengers two years of age and over entering the United States (including U.S. citizens and Legal Permanent Residents) must present a negative COVID-19 test result taken no more than one day before departure or proof of recovery from the virus within the last 90 days.
- Pack masks, hand sanitizer, disinfecting wipes (sanitizing hand wipes are a good alternative) and disposable gloves in your carry-on bag.
- Consider the additional expenses associated with flight delays or cancelations that could extend your time in a particular location.
- For road trips, pack food, water, an emergency kit and any items you may need in case you become stranded.
AAA provides more than 62 million members with travel-, insurance-, financial- and automotive-related services. Since its founding in 1902, the not-for-profit, fully tax-paying AAA has been a leader and advocate for the safety and security of all travelers. AAA clubs can be visited online at AAA.com.